Writer's Block

The USA is the place I was born. Canada is the place I was raised. Taiwan is the place in my heart.

Friday, April 21, 2006

This afternoon I realized that there was no where that I HAD to be. Nothing that I HAD to do. And then I remembered back in the day when those sorts of days seemed so much more abundant. So then I thought, I should arrange for this to happen (or not happen?) more often.

But after about 10 minutes of laying down and doing nothing, I got up to go out and run some long overdue errands and squeeze in a workout before dinner and coaching one of my students (this evening) for an upcoming speech competition being hosted at my school.

Busy, busy, busy...
Why is it that so many of my peers- those thirty-something singles (present company admittedly not excluded), are always SO busy? Busy doing what? So busy that there's no time to workout, get a decent night's sleep, or to see some of your closest friends?! Whether it's because of work, starting another business, taking classes, learning something new, picking up a new hobby, maintaining a full social calendar- what is it all for?

Are we keeping ourselves busy to the point of distraction because we're single? Is that because, being single, we can do whatever we want? Or simply because some of us need a distraction from being single and alone?

Or is it that we are single because we have kept ourselves so busy and have no time for someone else in our lives? Are we so involved in our lives? If a special someone were to come along, would we be able to fit them into our busy schedules? Would we want to fit them into our busy schedules?

Guess it's not such a bad thing... it's better than waiting around for life to happen.

2 Comments:

  • At 4/23/2006 7:30 AM, Blogger Michael Turton said…

    You are clearly not busy enough, as your current state is leading to the dangerous habit of self-reflection. Find some make-work! Quickly!

     
  • At 5/08/2006 12:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You are single and enjoying life and NOT waiting for life to happen. You found the secret! Keep going!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home