Writer's Block

The USA is the place I was born. Canada is the place I was raised. Taiwan is the place in my heart.

Thursday, March 29, 2007

I'm finally taking a day off. For the past three days I've kept up with my classes and tried to rest my voice by minimizing my speaking in the classroom, preparing handouts for my classes, and relying more on the blackboard.

This of course has required my students to be more attentive than usual. And it's actually worked like a charm! In my conversation classes I had my students reading out loud, as I often do, but now without saying a word, I'd stop them, indicate an error in pronunication on the blackboard and have them correct themselves. Thankfully I've already pretty much laid down much of the groundwork, in previous classes- pointing out and reminding them of common pronunciation errors, so when they saw the "writing on the wall" (aka the blackboard) they knew how to correct themselves. Now it's just a matter of getting them to break these bad pronunciation habits by being more mindful when reading or speaking and correcting themselves.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home