Writer's Block

The USA is the place I was born. Canada is the place I was raised. Taiwan is the place in my heart.

Sunday, March 25, 2007

Not quite 100% these days...

I hurt my ankle last December after a night of dancing. Oh yes, it hurt like h*@#$ the day after, so I just took it easy for a week or 2 afterwards and then it felt fine. I didn't realize how serious it was at the time.

It wasn't until just this past February that I hurt it again while in San Francisco out dancing again (!). Ah yes, there it was- *OUCH*! Oh yes I remember, I remember exactly how this happened last time. Only then did I wonder if there was something more seriously wrong.

By March it felt fine again and I wondered if I should have it checked out. I could rotate my ankle just fine. There was no persistent pain. But then, I did notice that if I pointed my toes and pushed my heel back- there it was *ouch* again.

I went to see a doctor here in Kaohsiung last week- just to have it checked out and it turns out I sprained a ligament in my ankle, so now I'm going through some physical therapy which includes water massage and a sort electical massage stimulation. I have been told to rest for 2 months or more! That means no running, jumping or exercise that puts pressure on my ankle. It's a little difficult to accept since I usually workout 3-5 times a week, but I'm managing.

I suppose that's what I get for not letting it heal properly the first time! I've talked to several doctors about this and all they can tell me is rest, rest, rest!

It seems like there's a perception that: once you've sprained your ankle or had a similar injury it will NEVER completely heal, and one will be prone to future injuries/reinjuries. So I had to ask. The doctor who did an ultrasound on my ankle said it WILL heal, but you must REST and let it heal completely. She erred on the ultra-conservative side saying I shouldn't do any exercise at all, not even walk or swim! When pressed she said that of the two, of course swimming would be better since it's non weight-bearing, but it still puts some strain on the ankle.

I am determined to let my ankle heal, no matter how hard it's going to be to follow the doctor's orders. I suspect this is why so may people who sprain their ankles or have knee injuries injure and reinjure themselves; they don't completely rest and heal; they continue or start back into their exercise regime too soon or intensely. Taking things in moderation is a must. Once you've healed, you've got to slowly build your strength and flexibility up again. Foot and leg injuries are among the most difficult to take complete rest for. You don't realize how much "abuse" your two legs and feet go through every day in bearing your entire body weight!

Now I've just got to figure out some alternative methods of exercise, massage or daily diet management to keep myself in reasonable shape.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home