Writer's Block

The USA is the place I was born. Canada is the place I was raised. Taiwan is the place in my heart.

Sunday, October 24, 2004

The heaviness of old familiar autumn blues is impervious, fading gradually as it runs its course... I wait.

On Saturday my folks and I visited Yunlin for the day. Yunlin is one of Taiwan's poorest counties. Yulin is known for its agriculture, especially coffee and tea. Everywhere we went there were plots of land growing various vegetables and fruits. We were fortunate enough to have a friend from Yunlin take us around for to see the local sights. Looking at the hilly areas and dense trees, I imagined what Taiwan must have been like a century ago, before the land was opened up and tamed by its early pioneering immigrants.

Life seems so much simpler in these parts. It was beautiful. By the end of the day I did feel a little lighter in heart.


Rows of tea planted in step-like fashion


Tea as far as the eye can see


Mountains in the distance


Path leading to the back entrance of the "Wind Forest Restaurant" where we had Taiwan coffee porkchops for lunch


View from the "Wind Forest Restaurant"


It was truly a beautiful day with sights like this everywhere

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home