Writer's Block

The USA is the place I was born. Canada is the place I was raised. Taiwan is the place in my heart.

Friday, July 30, 2004

When driving, travel takes on a different dimension, for many of us, in these modern times, it is the closest we will ever get to experiencing a journey. There's a mindfulness, movement towards a goal. The world unfolds before your eyes and it's hard not to feel alive, and connected with the world around you as you witness the rhythms and patterns of the earth.

As I drove, I drove through the passage of time from morning to dusk, through farmlands, past the local bank, mall and post office of small town America, past lush green hills and trees. Braving the elements- a sunny morning was left behind and I arrived at an overcast afternoon, thunder roared in the distance, lightening flashed before my eyes, rain grew in force, enveloping the car. Everything blurred, like looking through frosted glass- hazard lights flashed, drivers slowed. Proceed with caution or wait it out?

A glorious rediscovery

In the hour just before sunset, the sun casts a final spell. Everything on earth shines, warm like a halo and I see the world through gold tinted glasses. Hallejulah! the world seems to sing and I feel it in my heart. All things, even the old, rusted remains of a car abandoned on the side of the road take on an ethereal quality.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home