Writer's Block

The USA is the place I was born. Canada is the place I was raised. Taiwan is the place in my heart.

Saturday, December 31, 2005

Last minute

That pretty much sums it all up. I didn't make any plans for New Year's Eve because I was torn between opting for a night out on the town or a smaller gathering with a few close friends. I was trying not to let the stress and pressure of leaving everything to the last minute get to me, but I've been feeling rather frantic lately because I also don't have any travel plans for the upcoming winter break. Well, I suppose that these things have a way of creeping up on you.

Last week C was supposed to come down to Kaohsiung to spend Christmas weekend with me but had to cancel at the last minute.

This weekend J was going to come down this morning to spend New Year's Eve here. Her plans were all so very last minute due to work schedule issues. Phone calls have been flying back and forth since last night and this morning- trying to figure out how she's going to get down here from Taipei. After a series of unsucessful tries- there were no seats left on one of the major bus companies and the train only had standing tickets- J was ready to give up on all hope of getting down here... but then I figured out- perhaps a little too late- that there were seats available on other bus companies. By the time I tried to call J and texted her about this, she had already switched back her work schedule to work today! Bummer.

Meanwhile I didn't know what I'd be doing for New Year's Eve either, so in the midst of all this, text messages started bouncing back and forth last night, about what to do and where to go and now I've spent the better half of the day on the phone- coordinating with J and deciding what to do for New Year's Eve. Where did the day go?

A bunch of us have finally settled on going to the tallest building in Kaohsiung- the 85 Floor- Tuntex Sky Tower for drinks and live music in the lounge. It'll be a simple, elegant, intimate evening with friends. I decided that I didn't want to attend another loud, crowded New Year's Eve bash this year. Been there done that- did that last year nor do I want to replay any such scenarios.


All 85 floors of Kaohsiung's Tuntex Sky Tower

Don't know what my travel plans for this winter break will be yet either- Bangalore, Bali, Guam or some other warm weather destination... It's all up in the air since I'm waiting on scheduling issues with potential travel partners.

I've got to stop stressing and obsessing over it all. I suppose that at this time of year there's always a feeling that time is closing in, that I haven't done enough, that there's so much more to do...

Looking back on my past few New Year's Eves and winter break travel plans, I realize that they were all made very last minute, so why should this year be any different from others? I also realize that it's nice to feel like I finally have a core of friends here- the kind who are on the same page, and that I can count on for get-togethers however last minute.

Soon a new year will be upon us. It's a chance for a fresh start and resolutions. I sometimes wonder how much things have changed from year to year when I see certain patterns emerging.

Perhaps the key is simply acceptance. Acceptance of one's situation, the limitations you must work with, and things that are just beyond our control. Gratitude, hope and dogged determination wouldn't hurt either I suppose... nor would a tall glass of champagne.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home