Writer's Block

The USA is the place I was born. Canada is the place I was raised. Taiwan is the place in my heart.

Sunday, December 18, 2005

Finding hope in the mundane

Usually my weekends in Taipei are filled with a flurry of activity and this weekend was no different. On Sunday I suddenly found my afternoon freed up since Su Beng's lecture on Taiwan- Past, Present and Future, was unexpectedly cancelled due to a power outage in the Eslite bookstore. I didn't get the whole story, but it seems that there was a power overload which resulted in a blackout in the building. Now why they don't have backup power generators for the building- which not only houses the 24 hour bookstore, but several shops and offices- is beyond me. Unbelievable!

So C and I decided to go for a movie. Afterwards we wandered around the Xin Yi district shopping area afterwards. And just where did we ended up? ...but at the newest Eslite bookstore location over there!

As we merged into the bustling crowd exiting and entering the ground level, I remembered why I don't go shopping on the weekends. The overwhelming masses numbed my senses.

As C was checking out the building directory, I was trying to escape the madness and I took refuge in a small floral design shop in the ground floor. I was calmed by this oasis of sorts, amidst the overwhelming clatter of consumerism. I admired the various floating arrangements of flora and fauna in glass. Flowers floated in vases shaped like over-sized, super long-stemmed wine glasses, in glass bowls, and large stemmed plants seemed bolder, magnified in the water of oversized glass vases.

The combinations were decidedly festive with plenty of bold green leafy plants and accents of red, like deep red cala lilies, and other touches of bright red. As I took it all in, I was reminded of how much I love flowers- working with flowers, arranging flowers, receiving them, giving them, having them in the home, the sight of them, the smell of them, the art of them... I'd once fancied the idea of being some sort of floral designer.

This simple reminder set off a whole train of thoughts about more than a few of the hopes, dreams, and aspirations that I've entertained in the past. I thought of the simple things in life that make me smile, and all of the creativity I have within that's been waiting, as if dormant... to be channeled into several possibilities.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home