Writer's Block

The USA is the place I was born. Canada is the place I was raised. Taiwan is the place in my heart.

Monday, September 15, 2003

What's wrong with this picture?

The cover photo Siam Sisters and the caption of the Taipei Times on Monday (September 15, 2003) was so absurd and ridiculous that I wondered if I should even bother writing in reaction to it. The photo in question shows women clad in Thai costumes and the caption describes the event as “aimed at reviving a traditional TAIWANESE parade.” Please tell me that this is a misprint- one that simply adds insult to all Taiwanese people around the world who’ve had to clarify that they are Taiwanese from Taiwan not Thai from Thailand. Did the Taipei city government seriously think that this half-baked attempt could even qualify as an attempt to revive Taiwanese traditional culture?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home