Writer's Block

The USA is the place I was born. Canada is the place I was raised. Taiwan is the place in my heart.

Thursday, March 26, 2009

I am such a people person.

I just got back from this monthly networking event that I help organize and I realize that it really energizes me. I love meeting and talking to new people.

But, the thing is, I am actually an introverted person. When I'm at social events, I'm definitely not the outgoing gregarious type striking up random conversations with people. When I'm in these "cold" social situations (in which I don't know anyone), I much prefer having someone else initiate a conversation with me, or if I overhear a bit of conversation and I feel welcome to add my two cents in, I may start up or join a conversation. Sometimes simple conversations are started with people who happen to be standing around me. Other times, I will simply talk someone who seems in need of some company.

But when I'm hosting an event or party, like tonight, that's a different story. Then, I am in my element. Tonight someone kindly commented that I had a nice way with people, the way I circulated and talked to people throughout the night. It's not the first time someone has given me such a compliment, and I'm glad to hear that I'm projecting the image of a hospitable hostess, making people feel welcome at my events.

It is interesting to me- sometimes I'll have a 10 minute conversation with someone new, sometimes there will a "continued" conversation with that person later, or not. There may be a conversation with someone I've met at previous events, a conversation with someone in my social circles, but who I haven't gotten the chance to know all that well yet, and on and on. It is interesting to me how these conversations and relationships evolve.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home