Writer's Block

The USA is the place I was born. Canada is the place I was raised. Taiwan is the place in my heart.

Thursday, November 11, 2004

HISTORY in the making

Pardon the pun, but this is what really excites me about Taiwan... when I see such developments and progress- that I know will right the wrongs of the past and promote more understanding of Taiwan's unique status. It's monumental.

The major news around here in Taiwan lately is that high school history textbooks will be revised so that the 2006 edition will include the history of Taiwan, China and the rest of the world- each presented in equal portions.

Believe it or not, currently students are not specifically taught the history of Taiwan; so called "national" history is included under Chinese history. Most students could probably rattle off facts about China's history or geographical features, but don't even know that Jade Mountain, Northeast Asia's tallest peak is located in central Taiwan.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home